PIEOGRAPHY: The Story of My Life in a PIE!

Sunday, December 11, 2011
Pie is my very favorite dessert. In so many ways, I am very much like PIE. The similarities between pie and I include that we are both unpretentious – what you see is what you get. I like that about pie and I like that about me. Pie also reminds me of where I come from. My grandmother, as well as my grandmother-in-law, were pie makers. Not just ordinary pie makers, they were fabulous pie makers.

These were women who lived through hard times. Growing up during the depression and from Pioneer stock – they knew how to make pie from little to nothing. I remember that when I use my grandma’s well seasoned rolling pin to roll out a crust or recall the pie making tips dear grandma-in-law passed on to me. Those things inspire me – inspire me to make pie and inspire me to remember that very little is required as far as ingredients are concerned if each ingredient is infused with love.

My Grandma’s specialty was a little known wonder called Vinegar Pie. Her recipe had evolved into something that had little resemblance to a traditional pie so when I set out to make an actual Vinegar Pie, I had to come up with my own recipe. Everything about this pie reminds me of her and of myself. A little sour, some times life hands you sour stuff to deal with. A little sweet, you have to look for the sweetness in life. Spicy elements added in, spicy things make life so much more enjoyable. Something to bind it all together, for both Grandma and I, that would be our faith. The end result, something simply perfect.

Thank-you Grandma and Grandma-in-law for the influence you've had in my life! Pie - it is who I am and where I'm from!

Vinegar Pie
(Printable Version)

6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
dash of salt
1 egg plus
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten (you can save the whites to make a meringue if you like, but I prefer this pie with whipped cream)
4 Tbsp organic cider vinegar
1-1/2 cup water
Pastry for a single crust 9" pie (my favorite recipe)

1 9”- pie crust that had been par-baked briefly (about 5 minutes) at 400°F. Cool and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt in the top of a double boiler. Add the slightly beaten egg and yolks and whisk until smooth. Pour in water and add vinegar. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition. Pour through a fine mesh strainer to catch any cooked egg bits, then pour strained mixture into the par-baked pie shell and bake about 30 minutes or until crust is well browned. Cool completely. Serve chilled with fresh whipped cream.


This post is an entry into the contest PIEOGRAPHY hosted by Where Women Cook. The contest is open until the 15th -- get to baking and enter in!

Also posting to Susan's Metamorphsis Monday at BNOTP.