Low Carb Living ~ Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken w/Avocado Salsa

Saturday, March 24, 2012

I feel so neglectful of both my blog and my bloggy friends. It is that time of year for me when work is overwhelming and I am putting in LOTS of hours. It will soon be over and life will return to normal (whatever that is, lol)! More posts coming this week -- I am Frugal Fasting again this week and have some things to share about that. Wonderful weekend wishes!!


I am a big fan of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. A lot of times I find low carb recipes there or ones that need little modification to be low carb. This recipe is in the first catagory. Very, very yummy and the perfect balance of hot and cool. Are you feeding carb eaters too -- how about adding a corn and black bean salad on the side?

Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken w/Avocado Salsa
(Printable Version)

Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (6 to 8 ounces each)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced (I cut back on this and only used about 1/2 an onion)
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Hass avocado, pitted and cut into chunks

In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne; rub all over chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken, and cook until browned on the outside and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine onion and lime juice; set aside. Just before serving, fold avocado chunks into onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Serve chicken topped with salsa.

Net Carbs per serving: 3

Hooking up with my friend Yvonne at StoneGable Blog for her weekly ON THE MENU feature!