Olive Oil, Garlic & Romano Cheese Mashed Cauliflower

Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Photo Credit: Goddess of Scrumptiousnes

I saw this GORGEOUS photo of this dish on Pinterest -- it was labeled Olive Oil, Garlic, Chives & Romano Cheese Mashed Cauliflower. I attempted to follow the Pin to it's source only to find that it lead to a photo site -- not a recipe site. I was able to track down the origins of the photo -- Goddess of Scrumptiousness (don't you just love that name?) and there was the recipe -- for Olive Oil, Garlic, Chives & Romano Cheese Mashed POTATOES.



By this time I was determined to make this -- for a dinner party that was only a couple days away.....a recipe Re-mix was in order because nothing else was going to do, lol.

I have made many a potato-like dish with cauliflower and I have always been happy with the flavor of the resulting dish -- however the consistancy is always a bit off for me. Cauliflower has a lot more moisture in it than does potatoes and then boiling it to death just magnifies the waterlogging process. Skipping the boiling in the original recipe, I decided to bake my cauliflower. GREAT decision. I also decided that the garlic flavor was enough and skipped the chives -- maybe this summer when my chives are needing sheered back I'll do this again with the chives -- they add pretty factor as well as flavor.

Very happy with the resulting dish -- was a perfect match to pork chops and green beans, has moved to my FAVORITE cauliflower dish and seemed very well liked by my company.




Olive Oil, Garlic & Romano Cheese Mashed Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
salt & freshly cracked pepper
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 c cream
1/3 c grated Romano cheese
Salt & freshly cracked pepper

Clean cauliflower and break into large flowerette pieces. In a large piece of aluminum foil, tightly wrap cauliflower flowerettes and peeled garlic cloves that have been seasoned with salt and pepper and place in 350°F oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until tender. Put into casserole dish and mash to desired consistency (I like a little texture to mine). Add EVOO and cream and mix in well. Add the grated Romano cheese and season with salt and pepper as desired. Makes 3-4 servings. Can be made ahead and reheated in a 350°F oven until piping hot.

4 servings = per serving 287 calories; carbs 9.11g; fiber 3.7g = 5.41 net carbs




28 comments:

  1. Gail
    I've been following your recipes and was wanting to buy cauliflower, but at 4 dollars a head, I'm waiting for a cheaper price!

  1. Yum! This looks and sounds so good. I have a head of cauliflower in the fridge, now I know what I will do with it...thanks:)

  1. Tanya Payzant said...:

    I have wanted to try this for a long time. I will follow your recipe, which I have pinned and try it this week! Thank you. :)

  1. DawnK said...:

    Looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try that soon!

  1. Lukas Peters said...:

    what about the oil? where does that go in your recipe?

  1. Lukas -- I abbreviated the oil -- EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in the recipe -- I apologize for that. Mix it in at the same time as the cream. Hope that helps!!

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. Teggin said...:

    Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe (with a few of my own modifications out of necessity), and it was so incredibly good! I thought I had undercooked mine because it wouldn't mash, so my husband suggested putting it in the blender, and it came out great! Best mashed cauliflower I've ever had!

    I hope you don't mind, but I posted my own recipe over on my little blog (http://www.tegginsummers.com/2/post/2013/03/mashed-cauliflower-perfection.html). I linked back to your recipe and gave you credit.

    Thanks for such a great recipe! I am now a faithful reader of your blog :)

  1. NewWifey08 said...:

    I just made this recipe for Easter dinner. Mainly b/c my husband has started a low carb diet and this way he wouldn't feel like he was missing out with the mashed potatoes. He loved the little dish I gave him to try. The only trouble I had was that when I used my mixer to mash it, it flew everywhere. Even when I laid a towel over the bowl it still was pretty messy. Any suggestions how to not make a total mess of the kitchen when you do this? I def. want to make this again, I just don't want the mess. I used the chives. It adds a nice color and some texture.

  1. NewWifey08 said...:

    I just made this for Easter dinner b/c my husband is doing a low carb diet. This way he wouldn't feel like he was missing out on the mashed potatoes. He loved the little dish I gave him to try.
    The only trouble I had was that when I used my mixer to mash it, it flew everywhere. I even laid a towel over the bowl, but it still was pretty messy. Do you have any suggestions on how you made it not such a messy project? I definitely want to make this again, I just don't want the mess.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

  1. nikki and neil said...:

    i had pinned that same pin too, and was so sad to see it was actually for potatoes! thanks for sorting it out- gonna try this tonight.

  1. NewWifey08 -- hope you check back here since your post doesn't allow me to respond to you direct;y. I use a potato masher to mash up my cooked cauliflower. Sorry not to have a more helpful suggestion -- a food processor would be contained and help to not have the flying cauli effect. Glad you enjoyed the dish inspite of the mess -- wishing your husband the best on low-carbing :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. Mathilda73 said...:

    Just searched this recipe and kept getting a photo and prompt to join a website (which I didn't want to do.) Thank you so much for posting your recipe...Can't wait to try it.

  1. Mathilda73 said...:

    I tried to find this recipe...kept getting photos, but no directions. (And prompts to sign up to a website...which I didn't want to do.) Thanks for sharing your recipe...Can't wait to try it!

  1. 5xBlessed said...:

    Delicious, just not the same texture as appeared in the picture. I think I, like others, probably needed to cook the cauliflower longer.

  1. You are correct that the texture doesn't appear quite the same - keep in mind that the original photo from Pinterest is potatoes and not cauliflower. Glad you enjoyed the dish.

    Blessings!
    Gail

  1. I don't know where you guys live but $4 is the cheapest one could buy a cauliflower head for. We sell them between $9-13 here in Canada! And they aren't organic either.

  1. Jennifer Cocco said...:

    I hate when photos on Pinterest don't match up correctly! Thank you so much for developing a great recipe. Can't wait to make it!

  1. Jennifer Cocco said...:

    I hate when Pinterest photos match up to the wrong things or to nothing at all! Thank you for developing this- I can't wait to try it with my family!

  1. Witchwith3 said...:

    I just bought 2 heads for $1 a piece! Local farmer stands are the best! Will be making this tonight ... but with Parm cheese b/c I don't have Romano on hand.

  1. Thank you for giving me credit and putting a link to my blog site, I truly appreciate it and happy you found my recipe to be good, equally happy that you modified it and replaced cauliflower.

  1. Thank you for giving me credit and putting a link to my blog site, I truly appreciate it and happy you found my recipe to be good, equally happy that you modified it and replaced cauliflower.

  1. Kel64 said...:

    Great w added in Truffle olive oil & good parm always works too. I make a variation of this recipe every wk for a side, as we are on a low carb diet. I'm going to try this roasted version today. Looks great w the roasted garlic added in ..yum...

  1. THANK YOU! I too saw this on Pinterest and was annoyed when it led to a POTATO recipe! This is awesome---I'm making it tonight! :)

  1. zadw Zasld said...:

    This looks delicious, it's on my list. As for the price of cauliflower I live in Toronto and have never seen any veggie for $9-13, ever the way someone stated, perhaps they live in the far far far north. Any cut of meat can be purchased for much less that if you watch the weekly sales.

  1. Sharon Huffman said...:

    That will teach me to pin something without looking at the link first! I also had pinned this recipe and when I went searching for it this morning to create my grocery list lo and behold it led to a link with videos about how to fix your hair. NOT what I was looking for, so I clicked on your link and found your wonderful site that I can't wait to peruse! Thanks!

  1. Eric said...:

    Just checking, but by "cream" do you mean sour cream or heavy cream? Please clarify. Thanks.

Post a Comment

I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments -- thank-you for taking the time to leave one.