Did Someone Say Low-Carb Stuffed French Toast?

Monday, May 19, 2014
Oh, yeah -- THAT is what I am talking about!! 



First I have to warn you that the bread recipe is not my own but one I have been making for quite some time. It was from a guest post from Bob's Red Mill blog -- the guest is one of my low carb recipe heros -- Carolyn Ketchum from All Day I Dream About Food. The bread is her Coconut Pumpkin Bread and it makes wonderful french toast. One note, I never use the glaze on the bread -- we like it slathered with butter or cream cheese.

So, to make the french toast you'll need 8 thin slices of the bread (it is better baked the day before and cooled to slice thinly), in a shallow bowl mix together 2 eggs, 1/4 c heavy cream, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. For stuffing, 2 ounces softened cream cheese. Slather 4 of the slices with cream cheese and top with reserved slices of bread. Preheat a heavy skillet or griddle to medium and melt 1-2 tsp butter (careful to not burn your butter). Dip both sides of each stuffed sandwich into egg mixture and place into preheated skillet. Cook about 3-5 minutes on first side, until golden brown and turn over and repeat. Serve with sugar-free syrup or sugar-free jam or just plain -- it is so danged good!!
Each day I like to post a Low-Carb Idea of the Day at Google Plus -- some ideas are my own, some require a little help from others (like this french toast) and others are the ideas of low-carb friends and not-so-low-carb friends who happen to share low-carb recipes that I share with my followers. If you are interested, you can follow me too +Gail.